Friday, May 10, 2013

Mother's Day is every day

We celebrate mother's day this upcoming Sunday, the second Sunday in May. To be honest I never felt curious about this day before until now (even though I've been a mother for 4 years now) and I decided to some research on it. Based on www.merriam-webster.com, Mother's Day is "the second Sunday in May appointed for the honoring of mothers". This day was first celebrated in 1908, thanks to Anna Jarvis who held a memorial for her mother in West Virginia. That's when she began a campaign in order to make this day an official holiday in the United States, but not until 1914 the holiday was official. But what many people don't know is that Mother' Day is that many other countries celebrate this holiday, or this day, in different dates. For example: Argentina celebrates mothers day on the third Sunday in October, Bolivia May 27, Russia last Sunday of November, Spain first Sunday of May, Mexico May 10, Dominican Republic last Sunday of May, Costa Rica August 15.
 
I have to be honest, I am not crazy about Mother's Day. Mother's Day is every day. I celebrate it every day, when I wake up in the morning and have the opportunity to live another day with my family. I receive love from my kids every single day, to me having them in my life, being able to enjoy them, spend quality time with them, is more than enough I don't need more. Although is special to have a day dedicated to you, I love getting hand made cards from my kids! Yesterday when I pick up Alex from school he tells me: "mami, tomorrow we are doing something for you in school to celebrate Mother's Day, but it's a surprise ok?" So, you know that I am more than excited to pick him up at school this afternoon!
 
What are my expectations for this upcoming Sunday? Breakfast in bed from hubby and kids, and spend the day with them doing nothing just chilling, having quality time without worrying about anything else but have a good time.
 
To all mothers, grandmothers, great-grannys etc... Have a wonderful Mother's Day Weekend.
 
 
God bless...
 

 

 
 

No comments: